Don't you think that each district should be decided fairly?
We all want our representatives to be chosen as a true representation of the people of a state. As you can see from the map, right now, just under half of the states have non-partisan redistricting. This law needs to be passed in all 50 states.
In 2010, California stripped lawmakers of their control over redistricting and put it in the hands of a non-partisan panel. This non-partisan redistricting can happen across the country to mitigate the effects of partisan politics before the next census.
Common Cause has a set of principles on redistricting: http://www.commoncause.org/redistricting
PEOPLE POWER PROGRESS UPDATES
- In April 2016, Nebraska passed LB 580 to end gerrymandering and instill a 9 person independent panel (HOWEVER this was vetoed by the Governor of Nebraska on April 18th - the Legislature could still overcome the veto).
- In December 2015, the Florida Supreme Court upheld Senate and Congressional maps drawn by voting rights groups under the state's landmark Fair Districts Amendment.
- In November 2015, Ohio put an end to gerrymandering for state legislative districts!
- In June 2015, the US Supreme Court upheld voters' rights to create rules governing the redistricting process.
ACTION STEP 2: PLAY THE REDISTRICTING GAME!
- Gerrymandering by Voz
- Redistricting In America
- Stephen Colbert's The Word: Win, Lose or Redraw
- The Daily Show's American Horrible Story - Gerrymandering
- From Slate: “It’s Alarming That Gerrymandering is Legal”
- Here’s a thorough review of redistricting issues with articles and analysis from FairVote
- NY Times' The Great Gerrymander of 2012