You’re dreaming, it will never happen…
Au contraire! Freedom of speech, abolishment of slavery, women’s right to vote, and two-term limit on Presidencies are just a few of the 27 amendments to our constitution.
BILLS BEFORE CONGRESS
Democracy for All Amendment (SJ Res 5/ HJ Res 22)
Provides Congress and the states with the authority to determine reasonable regulations on campaign financing and distinguish between natural persons and other artificial entities under campaign finance laws. Key sponsors: Sens. Udall, Sanders/Reps. Deutch, Edwards, McGovern.
Clarifies that only human beings, not legal entities like corporations, are entitled to the protections of the Constitution, and stating that political campaign spending is not protected by the first amendment. Key Sponsors: Rep. Nolan, Rep. Jones
People’s Rights Amendment (SJ Res 18/HJ Res 23)
Makes it clear that corporations do not have constitutional rights, as if they were people. Key Sponsors: Senator Jon Tester /Rep. Jim McGovern
PEOPLE POWER PROGRESS UPDATES
- 42 states have already taken action towards the 28th Amendment!
- 17 states legislatures have called to overturn Citizens United
- 4 states have called for a Article V Amendment Convention (IL, VT, CA, NJ).
- 2 states have directly voted to overturn Citizens United on a state ballot (MT & CO)
- Washington and California should be voting to overturn Citizens United on their state ballots in Nov 2016
- 700 cities or towns have called for a constitutional amendment
- Over 80% of Americans support an amendment
- Over 140 groups are working to GET THE MONEY OUT of politics
- The 113th Congress proposed 14 amendments
- Over 150 members of Congress support a constitutional amendment
Here's a great article where President Obama talks about the need for an Amendment.
ACTION STEP 1: SIGN PETITIONS
- Read, share and sign our Money In Politics A To Z Guide and Petition
- Sign the Free Speech For People petitions (They support two bills)
• Rep. McGovern's H.J.Res. 20 restores Congress' and the states' authority to limit campaign gifts and spending in all categories; it's similar to Senator Udall's bill, S.J.Res. 19, which has 20 U.S. Senate co-sponsors
• Rep. McGovern's H.J.Res. 21 makes it clear that corporations do not have constitutional rights, as if they were people; it has bi-partisan support in the House from Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC), along with many other co-sponsors. It's identical to Senator Tester's bill, S.J.Res. 18
- Ask your Congressperson to support Rep. Nolan and Rep. Pocan’s We The People Amendment
- Sign on to Public Citizen's Democracy For People Action to get 160 representatives in Congress to co-sponsor Sen. Sanders (S 525) and Rep. Deutch’s (HJ Res 34) bill for a Constitutional Amendment.
- Sign Move To Amend's petition for a Constitutional Amendment
- Sign WOLF-PAC's petition for a Constitutional Amendment
- Sign Every Voice's petition to Overturn Citizens United
- Sign Public Citizen's petition to Overturn Citizens United
- Support a Resolution to Overturn Citizens United in your town!
- Sign People For The American Way's petition to Overturn Citizens United
UNITED FOR THE PEOPLE is the place to go for the latest updates on Constitutional Amendment.
Here’s their map of existing local and state resolutions
TOOLKIT FOR ACTION
Move To Amend has a great Take Action Toolkit
See if your Candidate has Pledged to Amend